Saturday, July 9, 2011

our summer vacation

As you may have noticed, I've been away for a few days. My hubby and I packed up the kids and headed to beautiful Montreal. I don't know what it is about that city but it is so easy to fall in love with, every time we go.

We spent a bit of time in Montreal and then we drove down to Parc Safari, just south of the city. For those of you not familiar, the main feature there is a 4 to 5 km park that you drive your car through and feed 'wild' animals. It's super cool and something that I'd always wanted to do myself. I may have used my kids as an excuse to do it. Just maybe.




So we drove through the park, stopping along the way to feed the animals, having wonderful 'family bonding' moments. 

And then it happened: Evan announces that he has to pee. 
And when a 4 year old says he has to pee, it means it's already just about coming out and you need to get to that bathroom 5 minutes ago.

Did I mention that at Parc Safari, you're not allowed to get out of your car?! We had only driven about a kilometer of the 5 kilometer trail so at this point, I had think fast. 

I contemplated speeding through the rest of the trail at the risk of plowing down some poor innocent hungry animal. 




My husband suggested opening the door a crack and letting him pee out the door.  
Umm. Have you seen the aim of a 4-year old boy?! 

At this point we were desperate. 
But there were other carloads of people nearby so THAT was not an option.

Then I had an idea. 
We had no other choice.
"Do we have some kind of cup that he can pee into?"

We scanned the back seat and there it was. The gloriously empty MacDonald's cup from the the day before.

I was in disbelief that this was actually happening. I sat there holding the cup while Evan stood in front of me peeing into it. 
I prayed he wouldn't pee on me.
And man that kid had to pee. He filled half the cup!



Once he was done, I put the plastic lid back on so it wouldn't spill. I looked down at it, still with the straw sticking out and then realized I should have taken it out before putting the lid back on. Now one of the kids was going to forget and drink the pee.

I put the pee cup in the cupholder in front of me so I could keep an eye on it. 
It felt so wrong to put it there but I was NOT going to hold a cup of pee for the next hour.

We continued on, feeding the animals, acting like nothing had happened.



The kids were hanging out in the front of the van so they could reach the animals and the whole time I just KNEW the cup was going to get spilled and there would be pee in my van.
 
The pee cup with a straw was stressing me out!
ONE OF MY CHILDREN WERE GOING TO EITHER DRINK OR SPILL PEE IN MY VAN!




My hubby pulled ahead a bit faster, grabbed the cup and dumped it out the window when there was no one around to see. My hero!
We still had a yucky cup to deal with but at least it wasn't going to get spilled. In my van.




We drove about another kilometer up the trail and discovered a bathroom with snack bar. 
Would have been good to know before!!

All I can say is, thank God for little boys. 
Oh, and next time I'm packing pull ups :)



1 comment:

  1. Great experience with the animals and the pee :)) Boys take it much easy, don't they? Hope you think now that was a fun and have no stress anymore:) Thanks Jo for sharing the story and the amazing photos. The camel has a stylish hear. And the bull on the last picture looks like he is just from a party

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...